Karma Sauce Rochester Style Meat Sauce
If you make this meat sauce be sure to remove all spoons from the kitchen or it may never make it to the table. Here we show it in action in Karmalized Poutine: Our trans-lake take on the Canadian classic Poutine. We’ve added our own “Karma”lized version of Rochester’s meat sauce to this late night delight. You’ll calm any border dispute with this beauty. Stay tuned for regular and veggies versions of the recipe. This example features Shtayburne Farm cheese curds.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 4 hours, minimum, 2 hours for vegetarian version (see below)
2 lbs. of ground beef and/or pork (you can also try substituting venison or anything else you like)
2 Carrots, finely chopped
1 Rib celery, finely chopped
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
2 Cups ground or crushed tomatoes
1 Cup whole milk
1 Cup dry white wine
¼ Cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ Cup unsalted butter
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 Bottle of Smokey Karma Sauce®
1/2 Jar of Sabroso spice blend
1 /2 Jar of Instant Karma spice blend
Large (4+quart) Dutch oven or pot with lid
- Bring pot to medium heat. Add butter to melt.
- Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add meat and both spice blends and cook until meat has lost its raw color, crumbling and stirring with fork or spatula.
- Add white wine and scrape bottom and sides of pot to deglaze.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for a minimum of 3 hours. Stir occasionally (add water if sauce is drying out). The sauce is ready for the next step when the meat is completely tender.
- Uncover and increase heat to reduce sauce to a thick consistency. Remove thyme sprigs and stir in Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Serve with fries, pasta, burgers, hot dots, as an open face sandwich or any way you like.
Substitute 2 lbs. of minced high quality mushrooms for the meat.
Reduce simmer time to 1 hour.
This recipe was inspired by Marcella Hazan’s Bolognese Sauce recipe